#166232  by Pointclear
 Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:37 pm
All good answers, but one thing I’d like to emphasize is the McIntosh power amp. Macs have a very tight and extended bass response and jerry’s tight and gritty bass lines are all that Mac power played at high volumes. In my opinion, it’s tough to get it from a twin reverb’s power section.
 #166233  by czyfingers
 Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:48 am
I would tend to agree. I have both and the MC50 at high volume seems to get closer than twin's power section. I also feel that many of the nuances of Jerry's playing and how it sounded come from right hand technique accompanied by high volume. Like picking lighter to quiet things down instead of always twisting the guitar's volume down for the more quiet parts. It really can be analyzed endlessly.
Pointclear liked this
 #166236  by Cosmopolis
 Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:58 pm
This subject seemed like a good opportunity for me to post a photo and comment. Hopefully the photo actually uploads. These are my go-to electric guitars. From left, a Ruokangas VSOP Supreme - Spanish cedar body, maple neck and arctic birch fretboard. Pickups are German Haussel P90. Guitar is like a Strat but way better. Second from left is a RickTurner Model One - mahogany body and maple top. Third is a PRS that Brian White expertly modified. I can’t say enough good things about his work. The guitar has a six-way switch...a topic for another day. Next is a Moriarty Wolf. Second from right is the real deal - a 13.5 Lb copy of Tiger that Gary Brawer and Danny Ransom built for me 20 years ago. They took 60 or so photos and a bunch measurements of the original while the Dead still had it. Inlays were done by Larry Robinson from his original templates from the 1970s. Last is a Phiga Tiger. Baby Tiger as it were.
Here’s the point of my long-winded note. All the comments here are relevant. I have a number of guitars that have the whole Jerry setup, and the one guitar that totally nails that 1980s low end grunt is the big heavy Tiger. I’m convinced that the sheer mass of this guitar is what makes the difference

Image: https://imgur.com/a/4vMFKqv
Last edited by Cosmopolis on Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #166238  by czyfingers
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:47 am
You have to upload the image to a hosting site like imgur, which seems to work the best and easiest. Then paste the link to in in the direct link field under "upload image". It's a bit of a PITA but I'd love to see your guitars.