When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #162725  by Mithrandir
 Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:48 am
Hey guys,

I found a schematic on another form for kimocks set up. 2 volume pot,3 way switch, etc. I’m trying to make a white Strat tribute. Does anyone have a detailed schematic for the set up? Including any detailed information on the switch? I had my amp tech do one for me and even after 44 years of working on everything you can think of, he said it was a straight bitch. Many thanks!
 #162730  by Bigfoot Co.
 Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:28 am
From what I’ve gathered over the years:

The switch is a 3 way wired like a telecaster = Neck - neck + bridge - bridge.

The neck and bridge pups are wired from switch to the first vol pot. Hot to middle lug.

I think Steve has said that the switch itself is physically oriented backwards. So backwards is forwards and forwards is backwards :peas:

He has also said that the bridge pickup is reverse polarity from the neck.

The middle pickup is always on and wired to its own / the 2nd vol pot. A blend. Hot to middle lug.

No tone control.just the 2 vol pots 250k.

Steve has also stressed that strings are part of the equation. Original lipsticks were very weak by design and big strings are what’s needed to get them to sing. I think he uses 14s on the high e. Wound 3rd! Might be something like a dadarrio exl115 set, toss the high e and add a 60 for the bottom lol!

No guarantee this is correct, just going from my best recollection of the last time I recollected it. Good luck!
MRiley99 liked this
 #162743  by pomaikai
 Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:36 pm
Larry Natalini told me he put the pickups in that guitar, not sure if he did the wiring that way, or if it was changed later. He told me he messed up on the neck and bridge cuts a bit so he used the silvertone bass rings, they may have been bass pickups too, though they're all the same. I have yet to hear an aftermarket lipstick pickup that sounds like the real deal.
Bigfoot Co. liked this
 #162758  by waldo041
 Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:09 pm
I believe Steve uses a handmade blaster in an altoids can he had made for that guitar specifically. I could be wrong, have been before, but when I spoke with him last on the phone he was looking for something more transparent because he loves those pickups in that guitar!

~waldo
 #162760  by Bigfoot Co.
 Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:34 pm
pomaikai wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:36 pm
Larry Natalini told me he put the pickups in that guitar, not sure if he did the wiring that way, or if it was changed later. He told me he messed up on the neck and bridge cuts a bit so he used the silvertone bass rings, they may have been bass pickups too, though they're all the same. I have yet to hear an aftermarket lipstick pickup that sounds like the real deal.
Yup, pickups were reported to have been scavenged from a danelectro coral bass. I think they may have came from a Silvertone 1443 as the pickup rings on that bass are rounder like the ones on his strat. Middle pickup has been reported as a Silvertone. Those Guitar and bass lipstick pickups are really freakin wide at the base, so some cavernous vertical routing would have to be done to get em in. I’ve seen it go wrong first hand lol :D

+1 good call on the altoids stratoblaster Waldo. I think I remember reading somewhere that Scott walker Made it for him. IMO Those pickups benefit from some push for sure.
pomaikai liked this
 #162769  by Jon S.
 Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:15 am
aiq wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:39 am
The Scott Walker Electro may be of interest.

https://youtu.be/y7sg8YbwmLg
Damn that sounds beautiful!

Kingsley's a regular on TGP, too. His "handle" is kingsleyd, if you want to reach out also to him. Re: this particular guitar, he posted this 3 years back:

"Scott Walker has started building his unique interpretation of the Strat recipe. He offers a number of options (he is, after all, a custom builder) but the driving idea for Scott, and for me as well, is Kimock's White Strat which is a unique and exceptional-sounding instrument.

My guitar shares the same wiring scheme as Kimock's guitar (albeit with a preamp and buffer, implemented separately), mainly because I have some hands-on experience with it and know it works for me. The bigger, bass-size lipstick pickups are key, for a couple of reasons. One is that they just sound bigger and more dynamic. The other is that they extend well beyond the outer (E) strings so those strings benefit from a fuller magnetic field."

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... t.1612145/

See also https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... r.1540737/

P.S. Kimock's discussion in July of what he described as a "1960 Strat, alder, rosewood, very low output Silvertone lipsticks and a set of .014's" may also be of interest. https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... t-26797041