#164130  by waldo041
 Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:58 pm

Jump to the 6:05 mark,

great documentary if you have not seen it.

~waldo

(i am unable to post it from a starting point for some reason this time)
 #164139  by aiq
 Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:13 am
My response was to the often quoted Garcia remark that seems to urge people not to vote.

Urging people to engage in citizenship is nonpartisan. Just like Head Count, just urging people to participate in citizenship.

Also, Garcia particpated in plenty of political events/causes.

I get keeping the board free of political bickering.
 #164175  by strumminsix
 Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:25 am
aiq wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:13 am
My response was to the often quoted Garcia remark that seems to urge people not to vote.

Urging people to engage in citizenship is nonpartisan. Just like Head Count, just urging people to participate in citizenship.

Also, Garcia particpated in plenty of political events/causes.

I get keeping the board free of political bickering.
I always respected that Jerry had very unique political ideals and he seemed very concerned with specific causes and root cause analysis over any politician or party. That to me was admirable.
 #164294  by amyjared
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:51 pm
I think it’s generally been a good thing that the Dead pretty much stayed out of politics. Music should be inclusive not exclusive. While I have played at political events and have strong views I will not tolerate political stuff on stage at public gigs. Everyone who pays to be at a show deserves to made welcome as long as they don’t act like asshats. My $0.02.
I respectfully disagree. I think the Dead were political. I seem to remember Garcia testifying before congress and when he was asked if Deadheads voted, he replied, "It would be nice if they had something to vote FOR." And he went on to say something about how deadheads would tie themselves to trees if he asked them to. He was political in his own way. And the boys visited the white house and played at Obama's gig.
I like to know my musical heroes taste in politics. I love Dylan, Phil Ochs, MC5, Woody, Rage Against the Machine, Springsteen, etc. because of their politics. And I don't listen to Nugent and Kid Rock because of theirs. I don't consider it "unwelcome" for a performer to talk about their politics. I consider it their right. But hey, maybe that's just me.

Ps. I do agree that the board should be free of political bickering. Totally on board w/that.
aiq liked this
 #164296  by tdcrjeff
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:12 pm
amyjared wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:51 pm
I respectfully disagree. I think the Dead were political. I seem to remember Garcia testifying before congress and when he was asked if Deadheads voted, he replied, "It would be nice if they had something to vote FOR." And he went on to say something about how deadheads would tie themselves to trees if he asked them to. He was political in his own way.
http://articles.latimes.com/1989-07-12/ ... =jerryFact

Caught Dead to Rights on Not Voting, He Vows to Help
July 12, 1989|SHIRLEY MARLOW

Instead of appearing before their usual audience of "Deadheads"--loyal fans of their band the Grateful Dead--Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir and Mickey Hart were the headliners at the Congressional Human Rights Caucus on Capitol Hill. The veteran rockers spoke about the need to make people more aware of the dangers of rain forest destruction. "I'm an earthling on this planet and it's my problem as much as anybody else's," Garcia said. Rep. Claudine Schneider (R-R.I.), saying that perhaps 90% of "Deadheads" don't vote, praised Garcia's efforts to draw attention to important issues. Replied Garcia: "I'm one of them. It would be nice if there were something to vote for. For me, voting is way down on the list." But he added that the band's fans take issues seriously. "Deadheads will chain themselves to a tree," he said.